The cordless screwdriver is a versatile tool that makes tapping screws and boring small holes a simple task. With no strings attached, it is a go anywhere, do anything tool that is a great addition to any garage or job-site. Choosing the right cordless screwdriver can be as tough as spending a countless amount time screwing something in by hand. It makes your jobs easier.
Free from a cumbersome cord, they will essentially rely on some form of battery. Their batteries are usually made of nickel cadmium and some form of acid. The electrochemical reaction that takes place inside of these batteries is very similar to the one that happens inside of your car battery. After each use, this type of battery can be recharged so that it may provide thousands of future hours of use. When you press the trigger of a cordless screwdriver, power from the battery is used to turn a small yet powerful DC motor. As with most electric tools, the more volts a motor requires to function, the more powerful it will be.
They are more versatile in situations where full sized drills might be too heavy or hard to use. Some of them offer features such as pivoting heads and easy change chucks. Utilizing innovative features such as these as well as variable clutch settings that allow for even further control.
How to Choose a Cordless Screwdriver
The cordless screwdriver is all known at the electric screwdriver, great tool for working with wood, concrete and metals. A cordless screwdriver is compact and convenient to use anywhere. There are same main characteristics for you to think about when choosing cordless screwdriver.
1. Size. Some of them are very compact so, it is easy to store in small place at home or at work.
2. Grip. When choosing screwdriver, it is very important you look for details on grip features. Grips can be made of plastic or rubber. Choose rubber because it provides comfort and better grip. But rubber grip will not necessarily protect you from electrical shock!
3. Voltage. If you work with soft materials such a wood, go for small 3.8-volt motor. But if you work with heavy materials or work long hours go for 12 or 14.4-volt motor. For constant use its better to have 18 volt motor.
4. Battery. Another attribute is battery life between charges. Treat it a time saver, the longer the battery life the more time you save by not having to recharge it often. Screwdrivers that have longer operating time could be better investments in the long run. Some models have second spare battery; some don’t but pay attention to the price for the spare battery the price for an extra battery could be just the same at the price for the screwdriver.
5. Speed. It is always handy to have options for speed. For example, having slower speed will allow the user better control and will improve the accuracy of the work.
6. Weight. The weight of cordless screwdriver can be crucial to consider. While making choice, just place it into your hand and try to feel if it is comfortable to lift. When traveling, you could carry it in your bag or backpack. Also consider lightweight cordless screwdriver if you are always on the move.
7. Others. Consider LED light. With lighting you can easily see what you are doing. It is great feature especially when working in dark corners.
8. Price. Screwdrivers come in price range between $20 and $200 depending on the model.
A cordless screwdriver can be great gift idea for your brother, friend, dad or even a mum. And the last tip when choosing cordless screwdriver for female friend, choose lightweight model with pleasant coloring. She will appreciate that afterthought!
1. DEWALT DCF680N2 8V Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver 2 Battery Kit
DEWALT(R) continues its tradition of quality professional tools with this 8V screwdriver kit. The motion activation makes it easier to drive screws comfortably – just turn your wrist to engage the drive. The adjustable 2-position handle lets you stay comfortable wherever you’re working. In addition, the included light lets you see in confined spaces. When you want a great deal of torque in a small package, this 8V kit is what you need.
- Motion-activated variable speed & reversing control for precise fastening control
- 0 rpm-430 rpm for fastening into wood, plastic & light-gauge metal
- Adjustable 2-position handle allows for operation in either in-line or pistol-grip
- 15 clutch position settings
- 8V max battery pack
2. DEWALT DCF610S2 12-Volt Max 1/4-Inch Screwdriver Kit
It offers a lightweight body and convenient design features, like shadow-free LED lighting, one-handed loading, and a belt clip. The maximum initial voltage on 12-volt max batteries (measured without a workload) is 12-volts. Measured under a workload, nominal voltage is 10.8. The driver comes with two lithium-ion battery packs, each offering 1.1 Ah, and includes multiple torque settings, variable speeds, and a reverse option.
- Belt hook included for portability
- Compact 6-1/4-inch body fits into tight places
- 3 radially-mounted LEDs eliminate work area shadows
- 1/4-inch chuck can be loaded with one hand
- Three-year limited warranty; one-year free service contract
3. DEWALT DW920K-2 1/4-Inch 7.2-Volt Cordless Two-Position Screwdriver Kit
Fast, efficient, and versatile, the DEWALT DW920K-2 1/4-inch 7.2-volt cordless two-position screwdriver kit features heavy-duty construction, the convenience of variable speed, and a 7.2-volt battery pack for quick charging and longer run time in small fastening applications. It’s ideal for professional use and comes with two batteries, a charger, bit, and kit box for easy storage and portability.
- Provides 80 inch-pounds of maximum torque output
- Variable speed (0 – 500 RPM) and reversing trigger switch for versatility
- Includes batteries, charger, bit, and kit box
- Weighs 3.5 pounds for easy handling
- Backed by a limited 3-year warranty; 90-day money-back guarantee
4. Hitachi DB3DL2 3.6 Volt Lithium Ion Dual-Position Cordless Screwdriver Kit
This handy cordless screwdriver is the ideal tool to easily complete everyday projects around the home or shop. It is perfect for tightening or loosening fasteners or drilling holes in odd or tight spaces. Around the home, the DB3DL2 can be used for hanging blinds, removing or installing light fixtures and switch plates, assembling furniture, hanging pictures, working on intricate hobby projects and to easily and quickly complete any odd job. Professional users reach for this tool as a convenient timesaver in applications like handy work, computer repair, appliance and copier maintenance and much more.
- 1/4″ hex chuck allows for quick and easy bit changes
- Compact and lightweight- only 10.55″ in length and weighs less than 1 lb
- Overload and over-discharge circuit protection for higher durability
- Powered by a 1.5Ah Lithium Ion battery for fade free power, less weight and 3x the total battery life of traditional batteries
- Dual position handle converts from straight to pistol grip for maximum flexibility
- Built-in LED light illuminates the work surface
- 21 clutch settings + 1 drill setting for precision and control based on the application
- Easy to use forward/reverse switch to change bit direction
- Spindle lock for manual screw tightening
5. SKIL 2354-07 iXO 4V Max Lithium-Ion Palm-Sized Cordless Screwdriver
The 2354-07 screwdriver is the latest in the Skil generation of palm-sized screwdrivers. Compact, lightweight, and more powerful than it’s predecessors, its the one tool no household should be without!
- 1.5 Ah Lithium-Ion battery
- Lightweight design for less user fatigue
- USB charger allows you to conveniently charge using your laptop, car charger, or phone charger
- Site-Light helps illuminate hard to see areas
- Battery fuel gauge indicates when the battery needs to be charged
6. Genesis GLSD72A 7.2V Lithium-Ion 2-Speed Screwdriver, Grey, 3/8-inch
It is a full-featured, versatile tool that is perfect for smaller projects and home repair. Super compact and lightweight, much handier than some of the larger cordless tools with a 1/4 in. hex, quick-change chuck, 2 speeds, clutch settings and an LED work light, you get many features that you normally see only on much more expensive tools.
- A battery charge level indicator shows you how much charge is remaining
- The tool recharges completely in 3 to 5 hours
- The lithium-ion battery gives you more power and twice the run time of nickel cadmium (Ni-Cad) battery and can be stored for over a year without losing its charge
- Charge it any time you want, as much as you want
- It won’t develop a “memory” like a Ni-Cad
- Great drill bit set included 8 quick-change bits: 4 screwdriver bits and 4 drill bits.
7. Black & Decker PD600 Pivot Plus 6-Volt Nicad Cordless Screwdriver with Articulating Head
It is a powerful, compact power tool that provides a choice between high-speed drilling power with 40 in./lbs. of torque as well as a lower speed setting for driving with 80 in./lbs. of torque. The 6-volt battery offers a long operating life and the quick-release mechanism in the head makes changing bits fast, secure and easy.
- Pivoting handle locks in three different positions for a versatile range of operating conditions
- Integrated LED light provides visibility in dark areas
- 23-position clutch helps prevent stripping
- Includes hex-shank screw driving bits and a charger
- Does not come with a built-in removable tape measure
8. BLACK+DECKER BDCS30C 4-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Rechargeable LED Screwdriver
It features a compact handle and a powerful 180 RPM motor for easy driving and removing of screws in tight spaces. Its inline trigger grip provides comfort and control when installing mini blinds, hanging curtain rods, assembling furniture and a variety of other household tasks. 180 RPMs and 35 in-lbs of torque provide plenty of power for a variety of applications, and an LED light provides increased visibility in dark areas.
- This unit also features USB charging which allows for a charge rate up to 4 times greater than that of standard 100mA BLACK+DECKER chargers
- Accepts any micro USB to USB charging cable (not included), and therefore, can be charged from a variety of ports, including a computer with a USB outlet
- This unit is also attachment capable, allowing for compatibility with all of Black & Decker’s future attachments
9. Ryobi HP44L QuickTurn 4-Volt Lithium-Ion 14 in. Cordless Screwdriver
This cordless screwdriver is designed with a rotating handle so you can take it from a standard screwdriver to a stick screwdriver with one quick motion. And for extra versatility, this screwdriver features 2 speeds to perform a wide variety of applications. With a ¼” hex collet, the QUICKTURN™ screwdriver allows you to make quick and easy bit changes and it’s powered by an internal 4V lithium-ion battery for steady, fade-free power.
- Powered by an lithium-ion
- Optimized battery life
- Engineered to provide best-in-class power
- 2-speed gearbox (200/600 RPM) (no load speed) for a wide range of applications
- New and improved GRIPZONE over mold for optimum grip and user comfort
10. BLACK+DECKER LI2000 3.6-Volt 3-Position Rechargeable Screwdriver
The Li2000 3 Position Rechargeable Screwdriver has a 3.6-Volt Lithium Ion Battery that holds a charge for up to 18 months. The three-position handle lets you work in tight spaces comfortably. It has a spindle lock that allows manual screwdriving and greater control. It has a forward and reverse switch for easy screwdriving and screw removal. This screwdriver is ideal for furniture assembly, installation of mini blinds or other window coverings, and mounting of storage and decorative shelving.
- Lithium Ion Battery holds a charge for up to 18 months
- Three-position handle lets you work in tight spaces
- Spindle lock allows manual screw driving and greater control
- Forward and reverse switch for easy screw driving and screw removal