Are you having a hard time polishing your car?
Let’s face it – everyone wants their cars shiny and new, but not everyone has the time to get it done. After all, it can take hours, not to mention a lot of effort, to polish a car by hand. Then again, why use your hands when you can use a dual action polisher?
Indeed, using an electric car polisher buffer allows you to polish your car more thoroughly and in half the time you would spend in hand polishing. There are two basic types of car polishers – the high-speed rotary or circular polisher and the orbital or dual action polisher.
High speed rotary polishers are often used by professionals since they are harder to use. In fact, if you don’t use it properly, the paint can get burned and damaged. Then again, with the proper use, a rotary polisher can remove deeper imperfections and scratches better than a dual action polisher can.
This is because a rotary polisher works by applying intense, repetitive circular motion to the surface of the car, which in turn, causes a great amount of friction and heat.
On the other hand, a dual action polisher is a great tool for beginners or amateurs. It has two spinning components, with one orbiting the other, which is where it gets its name from, and also why it is called an orbital polisher.
The dual action of this type of polisher propels it across the surface of the car and causes an irregular motion, which in turn, leads to less concentrated friction and a lower chance of damaging the paint.
1. Meguiar’s MT300 Pro Power DA Polisher
Meguiar’s Pro Power DA Polisher is precision-machined with Digital Torque Management and adjustable speed settings, and has been ergonomically designed to reduce user fatigue. The actual weight of the tool is 5.4 pounds.
- Ergonomically designed platform to reduce user fatigue
- Digital Torque Management (DTM) – Digital circuit electronically adjusts torque needed to maintain loaded speed level
- Thumb adjustable speed dial – Wide 3000 – 7500 OPM (Orbits Per Minute) speed range allows for faster compound and superior final polishing
- Multi-Position D-handle improves comfort and control for optimal user preference
- Billet counterweight with Multi-Bearing Design ensures smooth, precision balance with increased durability
2. PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher
Ideal for polishing and sanding automotive and marine projects, the Porter-Cable 7424XP 6-inch polisher features a 4.5 amp motor for high overload protection and random orbit. It comes with a 6-inch polishing pad.
- Random-orbit, swirl-free sanding/polishing action
- Electronic variable-speed dial from 2,500-6,800 OPM
- Features a proprietary counter balance for use with 6-inch sanding/polishing pad
- Accepts 5/16 – 24 spindle thread accessories
- Features a 2-position (left or right) removable side handle for greater comfort and control
3. TCP Global 6 inch Variable Speed Dual Action Random Orbital Polisher
TCP Global Model EP-43524 – 6″ Variable Speed Random Orbit Dual-Action Polisher with a 6 Pad Professional Buffing and Polishing Kit. High Performance TCP Global Brand 6.5″ DA Pad Kit with 5 Smooth Foam & 1 Wool Grip Pads – Polish Pads contain a grip (hook & loop) attachment and are made with durable open cell foam which improves airflow for smoother polishing.
- High Performance Professional 6″ Variable Speed Random Orbit Dual-Action Polisher with a 4.7 Amp Motor
- Random Orbit Polisher that Promotes Swirl-Free Finishes
- Both an Interchangeable D-Handle and a Side Handle; Includes Foam Polishing Pad
- Dual-Action Grip Backing Plate: 6″ Grip pad with 5/16″ – 24 Spindle Treads for Polishing Pads
4. Black & Decker WP900 6-Inch Random Orbit Waxer/Polisher
The Black & Decker 6-inch Random Orbit Waxer/Polisher runs on random orbit at 4,400 orbits per minute (opm) for a professional finish, making it perfect for detailing everything from small projects to tackling cars and boats. The random waxer/polisher provides a smooth, swirl-free finish thanks to its random orbit, while its two-handle design offers you a secure, comfortable grip. It also includes a 10-foot cord for finishing larger jobs without sweat or hassle. The polisher also includes one foam applicator bonnet and two polishing bonnets.
- Runs on random orbit at 4,400 orbits per minute for a swirl-free finish
- 10-foot cord accommodates car and boat polishing projects
- Comfortable two-handle design
- Measures 13.8-by-6.2-by-8.6-inches; weighs 5.3-pounds