Having a versatile horizontal band saw or a vertical band saw should be the delight of any professional handyman or Do it yourself enthusiast. However, before you get one or buy another band saw as is the case, there are a few things you should put into consideration.
First of all, the horizontal bandsaw and the vertical band saw are two different types of metal band saws that are better employed for handling specific jobs. The horizontal type is often used to cut large work pieces because its saw blades possess the capability to cut through thick metal pieces.
While the vertical metal band saw which makes use of less power is used for making continuous cuts through the use of a circular endless blade. It is specifically good for perfecting complicated cuts. This is why you should consider this before purchasing either type of band saw.
Band saws are power tools used for metalworking, woodworking and cutting various other materials like plastic, meat etc. In line with this, it is necessary for you to consider the power consumption requirement of the band saw you are buying as this will mean paying more for this feature. If the work you will be putting the band saw to use for involves mainly sawing through large heavy logs, then you will require a lot of power. Remember more power also means higher energy bills.
Another thing you should consider just before buying a horizontal band saw or it’s vertical counter part is the type(s) of blade(s) you will need, this is important as the kind of blade you will need depends on the type of cut you want to make. For better guidance on this please make sure you speak with the sales person of the hard ware store you intend to buy from.
Other considerations you should have at the front burner which pertain specifically to vertical band saw are the size of the table and accessories. It is better and should I say wiser to have a bigger table for your vertical metal band saw as this will give easier support for wide and even long materials. Useful accessories which usually come in handy for this type of band saw include a rip fence and miter gauge.
On a final note you should always check the product label of any band saw you wish to purchase. Check for the rating, the product, motor, dimension specification. And also ask questions from the sales personnel when you need to get clarifications on things you don’t understand.
Whether you are buying a horizontal band saw or the vertical type should not be much of a bother if you adhere to these considerations. So when next you are considering buying a band saw, do remind your self of these considerations before you buy.
1. JET HSB-1018W 2 HP 230-Volt 10-Inch by 18-Inch Horizontal Band Saw
Featuring a large handwheel and built-in gauge for easy blade tensioning, the Jet HBS-1018W gets the job done in less time. Perfect for a home shop or job site, this handy tool offers a complete coolant system, a blade that is always fully guarded regardless of its position, and a fully adjustable hydraulic down feed with separate on/off for safety and control.
- A 2 HP, 230-volt motor for dependability
- A complete coolant system for smooth performance
- Durable, versatile blade guides and guards
- Blade guide features parallel double row ball bearing support.
- Quick positioning vise with fully adjustable jaws swivels to 45 degrees.
- Blade is fully guarded regardless of blade guide position
- Fully adjustable hydraulic down feed with separate on/off value.
2. Baileigh BS-250M Hydraulic Horizontal Mitering Band Saw
It is a great saw for any fabrication shops that cut a variety of material and profiles. The horizontal model is a inverter driven variable speed bandsaw that allows the operator to precisely adjust the speed for the proper blade and material, increasing the life of the blade and decreasing expensive blade costs.
- It is a single miter bandsaw capable of cutting up to 9 inch round metal stock and can miter up to 60 degrees
- Changing the miter angle takes seconds and the best part is the vise stays in place
- It includes a powerful industrial grade coolant pump that washes away chips before and after the cutting area
- This cools the blade teeth, lubricates the blade, and removes the metal chips from the blade making the blade last longer
- The inverter drives a 3 hp motor through a gearbox so there are no pulleys to adjust or belts to break
- Another nice feature is there are two ways to operate it
3. JET J-9225 8-3/4-Inch 1.5-Horsepower Horizontal Bandsaw
A great choice for professionals, the JET J-9225 zip miter horizontal bandsaw is designed to handle a variety of jobs. This saw is ideally suited for tool rooms, maintenance, machine and fabrication shops as well as light production applications. JET horizontal bandsaws are backed by an industry leading 2 year warranty. and deliver performance and precision cut after cut.
- Adjustable hydraulic feed system
- Eccentric shaft, ball bearings
- Heavy duty cast iron saw head and sturdy base
- Mitering capability to 60°
- Convenient control panel
4. Dake SE-712 Model Standard Duty Horizontal Band Saw
The Dake SE-712 horizontal floor-standing band saw has four blade speeds, a hydraulic control system, a coolant pump system, and a variety of safety controls for medium-duty cutting applications. It has a heavy steel base and a vibration-resistant table bed for accurate cutting. The saw offers blade speeds of 85, 130, 180, and 235 feet per minute (fpm) for cutting stainless steel, tool steel, some carbon and nickel-chromium-molybdenum alloy steels, some copper alloys, bronze, and hard brass.
- 3/4-hp horizontal floor-standing bandsaw for medium-duty cutting applications
- Four blade speeds for cutting stainless steel, tool steel, some carbon and nickel-chromium-molybdenum alloy steels, some copper alloys, bronze, and hard brass
- Hydraulic control system for feeding stock at variable rates
- Coolant pump system cleans and cools the workpiece and blade
- Low voltage reset, thermo overload protection, blade guards, safety interlocks, and automatic shut-off for safety
5. Jet 414559 HVBS-712 Bandsaw, 7 x 12″
The Jet hvbs-712 has everything any operator needs to tackle even the toughest job. Jet increased the WIDTH and height of the stand and added new features that exceed expectations. The hvbs-712 is another innovative Jet product packed with features you’ve come to expect.
- 9-7/16 x 10″ work table in the vertical position”
- Rapid action vise miters to 45°
- Improved height and width of stand with built-in storage cabinet and chip tray
- Adjustable material stop for repeatability
- Csa/cus certification
6. SHOP FOX M1014 7-Inch x 12-Inch Metal Bandsaw
The SHOP FOX Metal Cutting Bandsaw M1014 is great for production shops, built with the power to handle larger jobs and features rectangular and circular cutting capacities, angle cutting ability, four blade speeds, internal coolant system, quick setting vise, hydraulic down feed control and automatic shutoff. Includes stand. Wheels and a handle add mobility for even greater convenience.
- Automatic shutoff
- Hydraulic feed control
- Quick positioning vise
- Coolant system
- Includes blade
- Approximate shipping weight: 339 lbs.
- Coolant capacity: 2-1/2 gal.
7. Baileigh BS-128M Pneumatic/Manual Portable Metal Cutting Band Saw
It is perfect for the home shop or hobbyist. But, just because this is an economical saw, doesn’t mean it is short on features. The band saw can either be run as a standard horizontal pivot style band saw or as a vertical band saw, by lifting the head 90 degrees and locking it into that position. This becomes extremely important when trying to do intricate designs and the best part you only need one machine to do it.
- Hydraulically controlled descent, 60 degree mitering head, bearing blade guides and an easily portable working stand are also part of the package
- The band saw is no slouch ion the capacity department either, it can cut up to 5-inches round stock at 90 degrees and up to 6-inches rectangle, plus a number of other profiles and shapes
- It also allows for the choice of three blade speeds via a step pulley a feature not seen on other saws in this price range
- Head miters up to 45 degrees; 1/2-inches blade; 5-inches round capacity; Pneumatic/manual power
8. Klutch Metal Cutting Band Saw – 7in. x 12in.
This Klutch Metal Cutting Band Saw has all the features you need to attain professional results when cutting metal. The large capacity band saw with 115/230 dual voltage operation has a host of handy features and includes a vertical cutting table. Swivel saw frame handles different cutting angles.
- 1 1/2 HP, 115/230V single-phase motor
- 4 blade speeds: 80/130/180/235 FPM
- Durable, high-quality 93in x 3/4in bi-metal blade
- Capacity: 7in round stock; 7 in x 12 in rectangular stock
- Safety hydraulic downfeed offers maximum control
9. General Intl. Power Products BS5205 4.5″ Metal Band Saw
It is ETL Certified and offers 3 speeds. Engineered for cutting ferrous and nonferrous metals with speed, efficiency and durability. A solid cast iron saw head frame and vise that opens to 6-inch. Featuring a heavy duty steel stand with tool shelf plus wheels and handle for easy transport. It has a vise that swivels up to 45 degrees, as well as a throat depth of five-inches, enabling you to gain more flexibility and control over each project. The miter gauge allows 90 degrees to 45 degrees cuts. You can set the speed at 80, 120 and 180 feet per minute. For added durability and longevity, the saw features a ball bearing-supported blade wheel, fully adjustable ball bearing blade guides and a heat-treated and ground steel worm gear with bronze drive gear. It’s 1/2 Horsepower motor can easily cut through aluminum to steel. Band sawing produces uniform cutting action as a result of an evenly distributed tooth load.
- 550 Watt, 120Volt ~ 60Hertz, Amp: 4.6
- Strong cast iron saw head frame
- Three speeds for cutting
- Switch between horizontal and vertical cutting positions with add-on cutting table
- Blade speeds: 80 / 120 / 180 feet per minute
10. Grizzly G0622 Metal-Cutting Bandsaw, 4 x 6-Inch
Blade included automatic shutoff three cutting speeds ball bearing construction vertical cutting attachment handles and wheels for portability.
- Motor HP 110V single-phase 1 725 RPM max
- Capacity circular 4-1/2-Inch diameter
- Approx. shipping weight 127-pound
11. Klutch Benchtop Metal Band Saw – 3in. x 4in.
This Saw is a compact yet powerful band saw that’s easy to move right where you need it. Features a powerful 1 1/2HP, 120V motor. Quick-positioning vise easily and securely holds materials in the ideal cutting position. Automatic shutoff when the cut is complete for safer operation.
- 26-inch L x 12-inch W x 26 1/2-inch H overall size
- Capacity: 33-inch round stock, 33-in – 41-inch rectangular stock
- 52-inch x 1/2-inch x 1/40-inch bi-metal blade delivers variable blade speeds of 130–288 FPM
- Quick-positioning vise easily and securely holds materials in the ideal cutting position
12. WEN 3975 5″ Metal-Cutting Benchtop Bandsaw
It makes easy work of brass, aluminum, copper, steel and more. The compact design makes transportation and storage simple, giving you access to a powerful and rugged machine at both the job site and at home. The onboard vise provides a firm grasp on your workpiece. Make 45-degree cuts up to 3-1/8 inches in diameter for circular material and 3-1/8 x 3-15/16 inches for square material. Ball bearing blade guides provide a long lifespan and reliable operation while onboard blade tension and tilt knobs make for easy adjustments and tweaks between jobs.
- Adjust the blade speed anywhere from 125 to 260 feet per minute for compatibility with a variety of metals
- Beveling blade helps create cuts anywhere from 0 to 60 degrees
- Cut pipes up to 5 inches in diameter or rectangular materials up to 5 x 4-7/8 inches in size
- Compact design makes for easy storage and transportation
- Backed by a two-year warranty