We use different machines in our daily life to make it comfortable and easier. The technology has revolutionized our lives and those things, which took lots of time and effort, are now carried out with simple machines. In this regard, one of the major developments has been made in wood works. A mortiser is a special kind of machine which is used in wood works related things and is used to cut square or rectangular holes in a piece of lumber, such as a mortise in a mortise and tenon joint.
There are certain mortisers, which are used to change the structure of wood. In this scenario, ideally a mortiser is used to make a position in wood form by hand, using a hollow chisel mortiser or chain mortiser. However, in order to have a good mortise in the joint, this can be a difficult and time-consuming task.
There are certain other tools such as a router, which could be used for the task, but the router usually requires special attachments, jigs or templates and the router bit leaves rounded corners that might need to be squared by hand with a chisel. So in order to have the job in a good form and make it perfect, mortiser can be used in the tenon, which will make the it rounded with a rasp to achieve an equally strong joint.
However, the problem occurs when we have objective of cutting small mortises. For this purpose, a normal mortiser can be used. However, when you have a bigger project and have to make large larger mortises, a common type of bit in modern mortiser is a harry watt square drill bit. In this, mortiser it with a triangle cross section is allowed to “wobble” while it rotates within a square with rounded corners. This mortiser removes all but the corners of the material to be removed, leaving very little to be cut by the mortise.
There are certain kinds of mortiser, which are used in the industry. It includes as if the square chisel mortiser, which is, similar to a drilling machine in many respects, combines the cutting of a four-sided chisel with the action of a mortiser in the center. The mortiser cleanup most of the material to be removed, and the it ensures the edges are straight and clean square chisel mortising bits can also be fitted to normal drill presses using a mortising attachment.
There are different companies, which provide mortiser and produce it on a commercial basis. Mortiser is a common tool in the woodshop of professional woodworkers, but due to its specialized capability and nature, some amateur woodworkers would not make enough use of it to justify the moderately high cost and space this tool takes up in the woodshop. There are some smaller and less expensive models of mortiser are also available in the market which may be used for cutting only narrow mortises are available.
Most recently, an innovation is made in this industry. This innovation is called horizontal mortiser. It functions like as a router attached statically on its side with the work piece clamped to a multi-axis sliding table. This recent type of mortiser can produce very good results and may be having very best result on at floating (or ‘loose’) tenons.
1. Makita 7104L 12 Amp Chain Mortiser
Perfect for the timber framing and log home industries, this innovative power tool notches and/or cuts through-holes in thick wood stock quickly, neatly and accurately. Extremely portable with its built-in carrying handle and 37.4 lb weight.
- The powerful 12 AMP motor can easily handle any size job and the externally accessible brushes makes service quick and easy
- Equipped with a standard 23/32″ (18.25mm) cutter chain, you can max cut up to 12-1/8″ wide and 6-1/8″ deep
- Five additional cutter chain widths, from 5/8″ to 15/16″, are also available (optional)
2. Powermatic 1791264K Model 719T Tilt Table Mortiser with Stand
Featuring heavy-duty cast iron construction and a powerful 1-horsepower motor, the Powermatic 719T tilt table-mortiser 1791264K is designed to take on the most demanding mortising jobs. A heavy rack-and-pinion gear system is equipped with a spring-loaded, six-position, adjustable handle and a unique gas-filled shock for smoother mortising operations. The head is mounted with adjustable jibs, providing easy maintenance for years of trouble-free service.
- Sturdy cast-iron construction for optimal stability and durability
- Quick-position, table-mounted swiveling vise clamp for angled work pieces
- Feed lever features six positions for quick adjustments
- Table and fence tilt from 0 to 35 degrees for a wide variety of applications
- Smooth gas cylinder-controlled rack-and-pinion head raising and lowering system
- Quick-adjust depth stop for less downtime
- Hinged access door allows easy access for quick bit changes
3. PORTER-CABLE 513 1-1/2 Horsepower Lock Mortiser
Hand mortising is a thing of the past, and the Porter-Cable 513 1-1/2 HP lock-mortiser will get the job done quicker and more efficiently than ever before. The 513 will accommodate doors as thick as 4-1/2 inches, and it will automatically center the cutter on the doors edge no matter how thick it is. Its durable steel and alloy construction ensure years of reliable, accurate cuts.
- 11 Amp, 27,500 rpm motor producing 1-3/4 peak hp
- Quickly and accurately cuts mortises for box locks
- Particularly useful in entry door lock installations
- Cuts mortises up to 7-inch long, 1-1/4-inch wide and 4-3/4-inch deep
4. Powermatic 1791310 PM701 3/4 Horsepower Bench Mortiser
The Powermatic Model 701 benchtop deluxe-mortiser is powered by a 3/4-horsepower, 115-volt motor that runs at 1725 rpm and has a chuck capacity of 1/2-inch. The head-stroke capacity is 5-1/2-inches and the chisel center to fence is 4-3/8-inch with a chisel capacity up to 3/4-inch. There is an in line depth stop whichallows you to stop at pre-set depths without racking the drill bit to the base. The heavy-duty handle is reversible and can be changed from one side to the other and does not require any special tools, great for the left handed woodworkers out there.
- The stock hold down features a double lock system to eliminate any slippage when removing the chisel from the work-piece
- The fence has a quick action cam lock to make positioning simple
- Large hinged chuck door with magnetic catchallows you to easily access the drill chuck with the standard 4-inch chuck key
- The fence is adjusted with by a rack and pinion system
5. RIKON Power Tools 34-260 Bench Top X/Y Mortiser
It gives precision positioning of your work for boring mortises because of the sliding X Y axis table. Front controls move the table either forward and back – or side to side along the dual dovetail ways. The front clamp pushes work against the cast iron rear fence as well as acting as a hold down.
- Powerful 1/2HP, 1700RPM Motor quickly cuts mortises in the toughest woods without stalling
- Dovetail column eays with adjustable stop for solid,consistant cutting of multiple mortises
- Gas filled stabilizer helps control downward and upward chisel motion during work
- X – Y directional table with stops provides ultimate postioning control for boring mortises
6. Woodtek 876775 Machinery 1/2hp Hollow Chisel Mortiser
Lever controlled rack and pinion plunge stroke. A gas-filled head stabilizer gives the Woodtek 876775 smooth, precise control – rack-and-pinion gearing and built-in, adjustable stop rods for repetitive mortising. Note: 3/4″ Mortising bit and chisel has 12mm shank and does not fit this machine. Bushings, 8′ long power cord and plug, chuck key, 28″ long handle, wrenches, hardware and complete instructions included.
- Lever controlled rack and pinion plunge stroke
- Motor: 1/2 HP, phase=1, voltage=120
- Net weight=45 lbs., shipping weight=50 lbs.
7. Jet 708580 JBM-5 1/2 Horsepower Bench Mortiser
Ideal for professional furniture makers as well as for home woodworkers, Jet’s affordable 708580 JBM-5 features a 1/2-horsepower induction motor and is designed to take up to 1/2-inch chisel bits. The dependable rack-and-pinion head adjustment gives you accurate drilling control, while its heavy-duty cast iron and steel construction provides durability and stability for years of use.
- Powerful 1/2-horsepower motor for consistently smooth performance
- Heavy-duty cast iron and steel construction
- Long, multiposition mortising handle
- Dependable rack-and-pinion head adjustment
- Quick-adjust depth stop for uniform mortise depths
8. Shop Fox W1671 3/4 HP Heavy-duty Mortising Machine
The super Heavy-Duty fence and hold down eliminates unwanted wood movement and sticking chisels an all too common complaint. The unique swiveling base allows easy off the bench operations and opens new possibilities for custom mortises. The extra height and depth capacity allows the use of much larger stock. The all-steel quick-adjust depth stop is easy to set and provides a positive stop. Features like a 22-Inch long solid steel quick-positioning handle, 8-tool holder, easy two-door chuck access, large base and twin hardened and ground columns insure perfect mortises every time.
- Unique swiveling base
- Gas spring return
- Double support columns
- Adjustable depth stop rod
- Micro adjustable fence
9. DELTA 14-651 Professional 1/2HP Bench Mortising Machine
Easy to set up and operate, the Delta 14-651 is specially designed for the professional user and includes a multi-position hand lever and rotating mortising head for tricky off-table projects. Capable of punching smooth mortises in a range of stock–including hardwoods – this professional bench mortising machine is a must-have addition to any shop.
- 1/2-HP motor generates 1725 RPM
- 3/8-inch-capacity drill chuck and key
- Adjustable rack-and-pinion fence
- Multi-position feed lever