A band saw used to cut metals often comes as a vertical band saw or a horizontal band saw. There are different things it can be used to do on metals, which include: making cuts and in cutting very hard ones including other hard materials such as wood. However, is it possible for them to do more? Yes, they can also be employed to make small kerfs, tenons and for re-sawing thin strips.
A band saw is a powerful tool that is made of a continuous piece of ductile steel, with teeth on a side or both. There are however, features that it has which anybody who wants to get one needs to be aware of.
Before now you might have been wondering, what considerations you need to make before procuring your bandsaw. This may seem especially complicated to a first timer, but not to worry as only two of these features are seen as primary.
The two primary features of a bandsaw that should be of concern to you before purchasing any are: the bandsaw’s throat and the depth of cut it can make. To measure the throat, you need to calculate the length from the table to the side of the vertical frame. This length is employed in knowing the widths of cuts made by bandsaws.
The depth of cut on the other hand, is measured by calculating the length from the table to the upper blade guides. The feature is what is usually used by bandsaw makers to sell their products. It is also this same feature, which tells you the kind of stock (i.e. thickness) your bandsaw can cut.
Other concerns apart from the two primary concerns mentioned above that you should have when attempting to buy a vertical type band saw or a horizontal band saw are the accessories you will need and what kind of table you should have. If you are thinking of getting a vertical band saw, you should have an aluminum alloy or steel table; it can be tilted to 45% in order to make angled cuts. The table should have miter track.
Accessories on the other hand that should come with your product are a miter gauge and rip fence. If they are not included, you should buy them. They are useful for carrying out ripping, re-sawing and cross cutting. You must have them for your vertical band saw.
A horizontal band saw is not often used by professional handymen as much as a vertical band saw. I guess this is because the horizontal models are easier to use than the vertical models. In spite of this, it is necessary for you to understand how each one is used and what it can do before procuring one.
1. Baileigh BSV-20VS Variable Speed Vertical Band Saw, 20-1/2″ Throat Depth
Baileigh vertical bandsaw not only bridge the gap between the popular BSV-16 and the huge capacity of the BSV-24, but adds a variable speed pulley. It is one of the most useful and versatile tools you will ever buy. Because of the BSV-20VS’s true variable speed, this saw can be used to cut, wood, metal, and even plastic. You can not only use them to make straight cuts but also, because of the vertical blade, those awkward curved cuts too. It is a must for any fabrication shop.
- Includes saw blade shear, and a saw blade butt welder with a built in grinder for finishing the weld joint
- It make sure that your cuts are straight and repeatable
- It is also including a rip fence and protractor
- 220 Volts 1-phase; 20-1/2-inches throat depth; variable speed
- Accepts 1/8-inches to 3/4-inches blades; 12-3/8-inches maximum thickness
2. Powermatic 1791260 Model 2415 5 HP 3-Phase 24-Inch Bandsaw
The 24-Inch bandsaw has a powerful, totally enclosed, fan-cooled motor to keep dust out for longer life and maximum performance. An extra large cast iron table offers more work area in front of the blade. The table tilts 45-degree to the right and 10-degree to the left and comes standard with T-slot miter gauge. The saw blade is surrounded by a fully adjustable guard, yet easily accessible for changing. Cast iron drive wheels are balanced and equipped with vulcanized rubber tires. A lower wheel brush eliminates sawdust buildup. The convenient foot brake ensures rapid stops while the steel and cast iron construction provides additional stability and durability.
- Large easy-to-use handwheels give smooth adjustments
- It comes standard with a 2-speed drive pulley and a 4-Inch dust collection port for connection to a work shop dust collection system
- The upper wheel housing and guidepost have been designed with the rigidity necessary for industrial use
- Extra wide flange along with a heavy-duty rack and pinion trunnion assembly provides extra durability while eliminating any flex in the table
3. JET 18″ 1 HP 1-Phase Metal/Wood Vertical Bandsaw
A great choice for professionals who need a dual purpose vertical bandsaw. the JET VBS-18MW is designed to handle a variety of materials with a smaller footprint. It backed by an industry leading 2 year warranty and deliver performance and precision cut after cut.
- Exclusive quick release, precision T-square style rip fence
- Built-in cutting height scale
- Extra large 19×19-inch cast iron table
- Convenient speed changes with no tools required
- Ball bearing guide system reduces friction for longer blade life
4. SHOP FOX W1729 19-Inch Bandsaw
When extra cutting capacity and heavy-duty construction are required for big jobs, this Shop Fox W1729 19-inch bandsaw has all the features you need. The 2-horsepower, single-phase motor has plenty of power to drive blades from 1/8-inch to 1-1/4-inch wide through the toughest wood. Cast iron wheels, a precision geared tilting table, and a blade tension indicator offer accurate cuts and longer blade life.
- Precision ground cast iron table
- Wheels: fully balanced cast iron with polyurethane tires
- Blade guides: roller disc with full enclosure protection and ball bearing design
- Deluxe extruded aluminum fence with scale and magnifying window
- Miter gauge
- Height scale measurement
- Two 4-inch dust ports
- Quick change blade release/tensioning
- Rack and pinion upper guide adjustment
5. Grizzly G0513ANV 2 HP Bandsaw Anniversary Edition, 17-Inch
In celebration of their 30th Anniversary, they have taken two of our most popular saws and created a special edition color scheme that is sure to be the eye candy in workshops and small businesses nationwide. For those that need a respectable cutting capacity at a respectable price, Grizzly is proud to offer this full-featured 17 foot Heavy-duty Bandsaw.
- The 2 HP motor powers through wood up to a maximum 12 foot cutting capacity, and the 16-1/4 foot throat is plenty for most applications
- Features like the deluxe fence, heavy-duty miter gauge, dual 4 foot dust ports, micro-adjusting geared table, and European-style blade guides are usually found on machines costing much more
- The ISO 9001 factory designation assures high quality standards.
6. Grizzly G0555LX 14-Inch Deluxe Bandsaw
Grizzly have redefined what a 14 foot Bandsaw should be like and have incorporated features into this saw that normally are either optional or unavailable on other bandsaws on the market. Grizzly knows bandsaws inside and out, and the company offers one of the largest selections of bandsaws in the world.
- All ball bearing construction. Cast iron frame. Precision-ground cast iron table.
- CSA certified meeting CSA C22
- Computer balanced cast iron wheels with rubber tires.
- Upper and lower ball bearing blade guides and thrust bearings.
- It has many of the same great specifications and features as their popular G0555
- Made in Taiwan
7. JET JWBS-14DXPRO 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit
Boasting updated, innovative features that provide reliable precision while rendering the riser block obsolete, the JWBS-14DXPRO 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Bandsaw Kit from Jet tackles even the toughest resawing jobs measuring up to 12 inches. A host of helpful details, including a high tension spring design, gives you more power and control for clean, accurate cuts, and sturdy construction ensures optimum durability for long-term use.
- Cutting capacity width of 13.5 inches and cutting capacity height of 12 inches
- A versatile, built-in retractable blade guard
- A 15 x 15-inch work table that tilts 10 degrees left and 45 degrees right
- A tough cast iron frame for durability and stability
8. Laguna Tools MBAND1412-175 14×12 Bandsaw
Two years in the making, Laguna is finally ready to introduce the 14|12. This is Laguna’s first foray into the 110 Volt segment. The result is an amazing feat. Features include pyramid spine, 1 3/4 HP TEFC Motor, quick release tension, 115 volt outlet and micro polished 21″ X 16″ table mounted onto oversized trunion paired with aluminum hi/low fence.
- Motor: 13/4HP, Voltage: 115V
- Aluminum rip fence: 18″ x 5 1/2″ x 1/2″
- Heavy duty cast iron trunion 8″ x 13″
- Resaw capacity: 12″, throat capacity: 13 5/8″ , blade length: 115″
- Table tilts right: 45-degree, left: 7-degree, positive stop at 90-degree with micro adjust
9. WEN 3966 Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight, 14″
It is the perfect companion for any workshop. This package includes a flexible work light to illuminate the worktable, 3-in-1 dust port to fit a variety of dust extractor hoses , a sawdust collection drawer, a fence for creating perfectly straight cuts and a miter gauge for angled cuts. The onboard circle cutting guide helps create perfect circles and curves up to 32-inch in diameter. The upper housing includes a small window to reveal a blade tension gauge. This gauge helps properly identify whether a blade has the correct tension given its particular width. The easy-to-assemble stand elevates the bandsaw without sacrificing space on the shop’s work bench. Ball bearings give the blade smooth operation and a long lasting life for years of dependable service.
- 9.5 AMP motor creates cuts up to 8.85-inch deep and 9-3/4-inch wide
- Uses 100-3/4 inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 1-inch in size
- Spacious 21-1/2 x 15-3/4 inch work table bevels up to 45 degrees
- Operates at two speeds of either 1480 or 3280 FPM
- 2-year warranty
10. Rikon 10-305 Bandsaw With Fence, 10-Inch
Get all of the features of a full size bandsaw in this bench top model. The large cast iron table, edge facing thrust bearings, a powerful 1/3 HP induction motor, and 4-5/8 in cutting capacity are all of the features you come to expect as standard from Rikon. Add the optional stand for the functionality of a floor model.
- 1/3 HP, 3.5 amp motor, speed 2780 ft/min, safety paddle switch
- 70-1/2-inch blade range from 1/8″ to 1/2″
- Cutting capacities: height 4-5/8-inch, width 9-5/8-inch
- Table is 13-3/4-inch x 12-1/2-inch
- Edge facing thrust bearings