The Black & Decker RP250 is a unique wood router that operates on a plunge base. The main advantage of this router is the fact that it can handle any function of the fixed base router. It runs on a 10 Amp, 2-1/4 HP motor, which allows it to rotate at variable speeds from 8,000 to 27,000 RPM. This router has proved to be effective in cutting decorative edges and works out from the middle of the wood surface. There are numerous features on this router, which ensure that it delivers excellent results even when cutting inlays.
The router has a specially designed, sightline base, which enhances visibility and thus ensuring the results are accurate. The router has a ¼-inch collet and a spindle lock mechanism, which makes it easy to change bits for varied functions. The other essential components include an edge guide and a wrench, among many other.
The Benefits of Using Black & Decker RP250
- The most essential feature is the plunge base. This is quite advanced and versatile in that it is able to handle any type of function that a fixed base router handles. This means that having this router is like having two tools in one
- The Black & Decker RP250 router has a 10 Amp variable speed motor, which has rotations that range between 8,000 and 27,000 RPM
- The spindle lock mechanism makes it possible to change bits easily and very fast
- There is a dust collection system, which will extract dust from the router and ensure that it keeps running smoothly
- The router has a sightline base, which provides a clear working environment and increases the visibility
- The three turret stop features are easy to set
- There is a warranty that runs for two years from the time of purchase
- The gradual start feature makes it possible to control the router and generate optimal results
- The router reduces the amount of time generally used in setting up for depth cuts that are repetitive
- The router also comes with an adjustable edge guide for making parallel cuts
The Key Features
- The plunge router Black & Decker RP250 is suitable for making decorative cuts and inlays
- It has a variable speed feature that runs from 8,000 to 27,000 rotations per minute
- It comes with a powerful 10 Amp motor with peak output of 2-1/4 HP, which makes it cut different types of wood
- The gradual start-up function reduces the torque and this allows you to have full control and more accurate results
- The router includes a wrench and a 1/4 –inch collet
- There is a spindle lock which makes it easy to remove and change pits
- It has an adjustable edge guide, which enhances precision
- The sightline base will enhance visibility during the cutting process
- The router has a dust collection system, reduces any hindrances of the operation
- It also has 3 turret stops that are easy to set
- The router has an exceptional dust collection system, which will get rid of any debris or resins on the cutting machines
- The plunge base is able to cut through varied applications, including those handled by fixed base routers
- There is a variable speed feature, which can be adjusted based on the type of application
- The superior power of the router is as a result of the powerful 10 Amp motor
- There is an edge guide, which makes it possible to obtain excellent cuts
- The router has a sturdy base, which provides more control and support
- The spindle lock system makes the process of changing bits to be easy
- The sightline base provides a clear vision of the decorative cuts and this ensures accuracy
- The motor housing is durable and fully protects the motor
- Quite a number of users find the plunge lock to be complicated and hard to use
- The depth stop is limited in terms of its range
- It only has a ¼ collet, which means it cannot support other bits besides the ¼ inch shank bits
- Most users have complained about the handles being too small for average-sized hands
- The router has limitations in that it does not support mounting of guide bushings
- The quality of the spring covers is seen to be below standard and somewhat low
- The base of the plate opening is quite small
How to Use it?
Once you understand how to use this router, you will appreciate its versatility. There are several issues and components that you need to learn and study very well. You should know how to fix the base and lock it into place before any other thing. The other important lesson is being able to fit in the bits into the collet system so as to make cuts. You should also take time to understand how to run the motor as it has a gradual star system. Always refer to the instructional manual and pay attention to the safety details.
Maintenance and Minor Repairs
This router is not any different from the others and as such it needs to be maintained well. You should always clean all the parts of the router, especially the cutting mechanisms. Empty the dust collector as often as possible so as to create room for more dust extraction. All the parts and accessories should be stored in their rightful cases and ensure the moving arts are properly oiled. Do not attempt any repairs if you are not conversant with the system. Always consult the manufacturer or the service centre for repairs.
The Black & Decker RP250 can be seen to be a standard router with some limitations here and there. Most experts feel that it does not have the capacity to be used in the commercial world, and is only ideal for small projects. However, there are tons of good things and awesome features that are associated with this router like the clear base and the sturdy frame among others.