DEWALT DW618B3 is combo router kit that has proved to be exceptional in terms of its functionality. This router has a unique D-handle base, which makes it easy to have great contact with the surface that needs to be worked on. This is one of the elements that have made it to become popular. The router has both the fixed and plunge bases, which allow it to handle a whole range of routing tasks. This is the true definition of one of the best wood router kits, with versatile features.
What make DEWALT DW618B3 high quality?
- Superior Power: It comes with a 12 Amp 2-1/4 Horsepower motor that delivers sufficient power to handle even the toughest applications.
- Variable Speed: It is a variable speed router that generates a speed range of between 8000 to 24000 rotations per minute to suit the various materials and cutters used during the routing process.
- 3 Bases: It is highly versatile since it has easy-to-switch plunge, fixed and D-handle bases. Each of the base handles has a simple locking lever that holds the motor in firm position.
- Depth Adjustment: The fixed and D-handle base has a Depth Adjustment Ring and the Plunge base has a Depth Adjustment Rod. These make it easy to make fine adjustments.
- Clear LEXAN sub-base: This ensures maximum bit visibility, enhanced base durability and is compatible with standard template guide bushings.
What make it easy to use?
- It is easy to switch between the three bases and each has a simple locking lever for holding the motor firmly in position.
- It has an easy to reach plunge lever and switch that ensure superior control of the tool when routing.
- Comes with a 5-position adjustable turret stop that helps when handling step or repeated plunge cuts.
- It has an auto-release collet for better bit retention and prevention of frozen bits.
- The Cordset location and the right and left switch ensure easy control and operation.
- It has rubber overmolded handles and low center of gravity that ensure top notch comfort, stability and easy control.
Some other key features:
- Dust-sealed switch blocks dust and other particles and guarantees a longer switch life.
- Flat top that makes it easy to change bits and adjust depth.
- Aluminum base and motor housing for durability.
- It comes with a spindle lock button for single-wrench changes.
- Has a detachable cordset for cordset serviceability.
- Has a tool-free steel motor cam lock that makes it easy when switching the motor between bases.
- 3 bases (D-handle, Fixed, and Plunge base) for maximum versatility.
- Powerful motor that can handle even the toughest applications.
- Micro fine depth adjustment for precise and accurate cuts.
- Variable speed that varies from 8000 to 24000 makes it possible for the user to handle various applications.
- Dust collection system collects up to 95% of the dust and enhances bit visibility.
- Compatible with ¼ and ½ inch collets hence giving the user more options in terms of cuts.
- Gradual start up minimizes torque for accurate routing.
- Three bases are a bit complex for beginners to operate.
- Challenging to use wrenches for bit removal.
- The coils and bushing are visible during the routing process and this may be distracting to the user.
- Bushing and coils are visible when routing and they may distract the user.
- Difficult to hold the spindle in place when loosening the collet.
- Height adjustment is quite daunting with this router.
How to Use It?
When you master how to use this router, you will be extremely happy as it provides versatile functions. There are three bases on this router, which makes it possible to handle different routing applications. In addition to this, the router has half and quarter inch collets which mean that all your routing problems are solved. It is advisable to go through the instructional manual and pay keen attention on the safety instructions before attempting to use the router.
Maintenance and Minor Repairs
The lifespan on the router highly depends on how well it is handled and maintained. You should always ensure that all the parts are returned to their respective compartments in the case for storage. Always clean out the dust collection system and lubricate the moving parts. The bits should be sharp and smooth so as to ensure that the cuts are not defective. You may do some minor repairs using the manual for troubleshooting. However, if you are not sure, you should take it to the service center for repairs.
The DeWalt DW618B3 has those who like it and those who have been completely disappointed by it. Before buying this router, you should look at all the possible options and features so as to establish if it will work for you. Most professional woodworkers find this router kit to be the perfect tool especially due to the inclusion of the D-handle base.