There’s not a single homeowner or crafter who wouldn’t be able to find a use for a rotary tool. They’re awesome for home repairs, DIY mechanics, small-scale woodworkers, crafters, and just about anyone else who ever finds themselves needing to drill, shape, smooth, clean, cut, engrave, carve, or anything else you can do to a material. Heck, even a knitter could rig up a yarn ball winder with a rotary tool, fashion a box with holes in the top to keep multiple colors from tangling, or carve their own customized stitch markers. (Yeah, I know something about knitting.) The point is that rotary tools are incredibly useful.
Dremel is so well-known as a rotary tool manufacturer that some folks even call the tool itself a “Dremel”. Their tools come in all shapes and sizes, making it easy to choose one that fits your needs. One of the most versatile is the Dremel 8220-2/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool. Not only does it have all the Dremel performance, plus 2 attachments and 28 accessories, but it’s also cordless, giving you the ultimate freedom in how and where to work. It’s a lot of bang for the buck, and you’ll use it so much you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it.
Portable, durable, versatile
The Dremel 8220-2/28 Cordless packs all of the functionality of the corded Dremel tools into a totally portable model. Lithium ion batteries are small and light, fast-charging and long-lasting. This tool kit comes with enough attachments and accessories to do almost anything you need to do, and this model fits all the Dremel 4000 accessories as well. It’ll replace almost everything else in your tool kit.
- Powerful variable-speed motor
- Easy and comfortable to use
- 12-volt lithium ion batteries
- 2 attachments and 28 accessories
Variable rpms for fine control
There are plenty of cordless power tools that can run on 12-volt batteries, and the Dremel 8220-2/28 is one of them. The motor has a user-controlled variable speed from 5,000 to 30,000 rpms. Maximum reps are good for fast, dirty work, like stripping off three layers of paint off of doors and windowsills. Minimum reps are recommended for more delicate work, such as polishing fragile, handmade jewelry. Whatever you need to do, the rpms are there.
The Dremel 8220-2/28 is a little over a foot long, but it’s less than a pound and a half and can be balanced easily in your hand. Encased in soft grip foam, this tool absorbs a lot of vibrations before they ever reach your hand. It’s designed so it will remain balanced no matter how you hold it, around the barrel or a little closer to the bit for more precise work.
Lightweight and long-lasting lithium ion
The Dremel 8220-2/28 cordless rotary tool comes with two lithium ion batteries and a charger. What’s so special about lithium ion batteries? Well, for one they’re extremely light, much lighter than traditional nickel cadmiums. They also run longer – up to 30 minutes of continuous use per charge – and they hold a charge longer, so they’re not going to die if you don’t use them for a while. Finally, they charge much faster. The charger that comes with this kit will charge a battery in one hour.
2 attachments and 28 accessories
A rotary tool by itself isn’t worth much, but the attachments and accessories that come with the Dremel 8220-2/28 cordless give you plenty of toys to play with. This kit comes with these attachments:
- Cutting guide to control depth
- Right angle attachment for tight angles
Additional attachments include a detailer’s pistol grip for better control, sanding and grinding guides, circle cutters, and the flex shaft attachment, which is a tube extension that turns your Dremel 8220-2/28 into a motor that powers a smaller, lighter body for tight spaces. This tool comes with these accessories:
- Three mandrels
- Reinforced and emery cut-off wheels
- High speed cutter
- Coarse sanding drum
- Emery wheel
- 10 sanding discs and bands, different grits
- Multipurpose cutting bit for drywall, laminate, fiberglass, plastic, and vinyl siding
- Felt polishing wheels and polishing compound
- Aluminum oxide and silicon carbide grinding stones and wheels
Additional accessories are available; one of the most popular is the blade and tool sharpening set, but there are dozens of others as well. Here are some of the ways that people have used their Dremel 8220-2/28 cordless:
- Cutting out damaged portions of fiberglass surfboards
- Engraving names into artwork, valuables, and equipment
- Cleaning rust spots for repainting
- Sharpening garden tools
- Cutting through 2x4s and branches
- Grinding and polishing handmade metalwork like sculptures and frames
- Cutting and sanding wood to shape
- Cutting off rusted, frozen bolts
If you’re debating over whether to get this kit or the Dremel 8220-1/28 kit, I strongly recommend this one. The other kit has had a rash of battery and charger issues, which might be because these kits are packaged in separate locations using separate unit batches.
- 33% longer run time compared to the Dremel 8200 when cutting screws
- Variable speed from 5,000 to 30,000 rpm provides maximum control and precision
- Can be used with all current Dremel rotary tool accessories and attachments
- Includes 2 lithium ion batteries for extended run-time
- Battery: 12v max lithium-ion battery
- Battery amp hour:1
- Battery chemistry: lithium ion
- Battery voltage: 12
- Length: 6″
- Speed: variable (5,000 – 30,000 rpm)
- Width: 2.5″
- 2 Batteries
- 28 Accessories
- Cutting Guide Attachment
- Shield Attachment
- Carrying Case
- Limited 2 Year