Hitachi power tools are a well renovated brand in the world of cordless drills. They have produced quality tools for years and this drill isn’t an exception. With the 400 inch-pounds of max torque you get an extremely powerful drill. Ergonomically speaking, this drill is class leading. With the compact size of only 7.5 inches long and a weight of only 4.4 pounds the drill is suitable for both confined spaces and over your shoulder work with less user fatigue. The drill body is rugged plastic and the pistol grip is provided with a soft and comfortable anti grip slip. When I tested this drill it was just like holding a banana, really nice to work with. The keyless chuck is 1/2 inch which is great if you want to use the 400 inch-pounds of max torque on big holes and larger drills. What is included in the box? This Hitachi DS18DVF3 tool comes with a flashlight (which is powered by the included 18v Ni-cad batteries), 2 x 1.4Ah batteries, quick charger, carrying and storage box, driver bit and a 5 year warranty on drill, which is just awesome.
Who is the Hitachi DS18DVF3 Power tool for?
It isn’t everyday you can get 400 in.lbs of pure muscle that cheap. With that amount of power, the 18v batteries and the compact design this is a dream for the home user. You actually have the chance of getting a quality power tool for just peanuts. The dual speed of 0-400/0-1200 rpm is though a little bit slowly for the professional (If you are, you should take a look at the Bosch HDS181-02 Lithium-ion drill.) but more than enough for the home user. It is also powered by Ni-cad batteries which have a shorter life cycle than the Li-ion batteries. Professionals should in 9/10 cases choose a Li-ion drill, but the average home user doesn’t use their drill that much so the Ni-cads is just fine if you don’t want to spend too much on a cordless drill.
- Extremely powerful. With 400 inch pounds out, this tool from Hitachi is one of the most powerful drills.
- This is a no-brainer for the average home user. You get a lot of power at a reasonable price.
- 5 year warranty on the drill. The reason why a power tool like Hitachi can put 5 year warranty on their drills is because it is pure quality, and they know it.
- Comes with two 18v batteries and a quick charger. There is no good reason whatsoever, that you should stay there with an empty battery. (If you are not like me and tend to forget to charge your spare one)
- Have a 22 stage clutch setting and dual speed, which make the drill suitable for various tasks.
- Powered by Ni-cad batteries. Compared to the Li-ion batteries, the Ni-cad battery have a shorter life cycle and it doesn’t hold the charge between uses as good as the Li-ion drills.
- Have a dual speed of 0-400/0-1200 rpm which is too low for the professional. (It is though fine for the average home user).
- A drill and driver set isn’t included. Only a double ended driver bit. If you need one, you should include the 120 piece Hitachi 799962 Drill and Drive Bit Set in your order.
- The DS18DVF3 Driver Drill has a two-piece magnet motor that offers class-leading maximum torque of 400 in/lbs, so you can power through even the toughest jobs
- Two-speed transmission is controlled by a one-touch speed knob that lets you choose the right setting for your job–either 0-400 RPM or 0-1,200 RPM
- 22-stage clutch offers easy adjustments for high torque and precision driving in wood, plastic, steel, and aluminum
- With tool-less clutch adjustment, this drill handles precision fasteners, such as drywall screws, without damaging walls
- At just 7-3/4 inches in length and weighing just 4.4 pounds, this tool reduces user fatigue and can be used on a ladder or in tight spaces where larger cordless drills can’t reach
- A non-slip elastomer grip provides comfort and safety
- A 1/2-inch keyless chuck that allows for easy bit changes, as well as a belt hook with two bit holders that saves time and adds convenience
- The kit’s quick charger fully charges the batteries in just 35 minutes, and you can expect about 300 charges over the life of each battery
- The charger is compatible with other Hitachi tools that use NiCD rechargeable batteries (up to 18 volts)
- Chuck Size: 1/2″
- Max Torque: 400 inches/lbs
- No-Load Speed: 0-400, 0-1,200 RPM
- Clutch Stages: 22
- Tool Length: 7.75″
- Weight: 4.4 lbs
- Bit Holders: 2
- Battery Capacity: 1.4 Ah
- Charger – Volts Accepted: 9.6-18V
- Charging Time: 35 min
- DS18DVF3 driver drill
- Driver bit, seven-piece bit set
- Flashlight (UB18D)
- Two 1.4-Ah batteries
- Quick charger (UC18YG)
- Carrying case
- 5-year limited warranty