The JET 708359 JWL-1642EVS 16-Inch Wood Lathe is one of the smarter purchases you could make if you are looking for a professional quality full size wood lathe. It has all the features you want and need to do larger projects and is backed by the amazing Jet quality. If you are ready to start tackling big projects and need a lathe that can do it, this is the one for you.
Jet is one of the most well known and respected brands in the lathe industry. They are known for being extremely high quality and reliable. Jet is manufactured by Walter Meier Manufacturing Americas which was founded in 1937 and now operates in more than 70 countries around the world.
With great quality comes great cost, and this Wood Lathe is no exception at its hefty price tag. That can give you a lot of sticker shock, but really isn’t bad considering the quality and features such as:
- The lathe has a 1 ½ horsepower motor which gives it enough power to handle just about anything you can throw at it.
- It has a 16 inch swing and 42 inches between the centers, as well as a variable speed control that lets you go between 0-3,200 rpm with ease.
- The bed and legs are made from sturdy cast iron to give it tons of strength and vibration dampening.
- When you buy the lathe, you also get the tool rest, face plate, spur center, live center, knockout bar, and tool storage rack.
- Because Jet is so confident about the quality of their products, they back the lathe with a five year warranty.
Who is it for?
It is appropriate from anyone from a beginner to a semi professional wood worker. It’s a bit expensive for a beginner, but provides everything they would need to learn the craft, but is also high enough quality to create professional grade products.
Pros and Cons
The upsides of this lathe are that it’s big enough without being too big, has all the great features you’d like, and is very high quality and long lasting. The most striking feature of this lathe is the fact that it has a powerful 1 ½ horsepower motor. This gives the lathe all the power it needs to tear through even the toughest jobs so that you can make whatever you want without worrying about breaking the lathe or getting unfortunate results.
The lathe is really nice because it is large enough to do most jobs and provide great vibration dampening, but not so large that it’s completely unmanageable for a single person. It weighs about 410 pounds and is 59 inches long, 28 inches high, and 29 inches wide.
The downside is that it isn’t big enough for really large jobs.
Why you should buy JET 708359 JWL-1642EVS
The most compelling reason to buy this lathe is that it will last you a very long time even under regular use and create extremely high quality products.
Overall, if you are willing to invest in a lathe that costs this much, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better choice than the JET 708359 JWL-1642EVS 16-Inch Wood Lathe.
- A 1-1/2HP, three phase, 115-volt motor
- 0 to 3,200 RPM variable speed operation for versatility
- A large-diameter spindle with a 1.25 x 8 threads-per-inch nose
- A cast-iron tool-rest base that’s rigid, easy to position, and easy to lock
- A heavy-gauge wire guard for operator safety
- One lathe
- Two cast legs
- One tailstock
- One headstock
- One tool-rest body
- One tool basket
- One guard assembly
- One accessory package
- One owner’s manual
- Warranty card
- Covered by a five-year warranty