The JET 708360 JWL-1642EVS-2 Electronic Variable Speed Woodworking Lathe is a sleek looking piece of equipment. It has features which are useful for all your wood and crafting needs and is robust. You can create anything from the simple projects such as bowls to larger furniture projects on this machine.
Jet is a leading name in the business and was established in 1958 and has been growing and expanding successfully for over 50 years now. It is built for small and medium projects which makes it a versatile wood crafting tool. This is a must for any woodworking workshop. It is built for small and medium projects which makes it a versatile tool for wood crafting.
This machine shows value for money when compared to other Lathes of the same specifications. As it is one of the top brands in the world you are guaranteed the best with this lathe.
It has several useful features. These are listed below:
- Dimensions 64 x 20 x 50
- Weighs 420lbs
- Cast iron construction
- Locking positions 36
- 16 inch swing
- 42 inch capacity
- Eight speed options
- Motor specifications: 2 HP, 230V
- Digital readout meter
- Movable head
- Knock out bar
- Long tool rest
- 10 degree index increments
Who is it for?
It is definitely something useful for a small business workshop. This machine is also the perfect lifelong friend for any regular or serious hobbyist. If you are a beginner in wood crafting, this machine is the perfect starting machine to give you may productive hours in your workshop.
Pros and Cons
This is a very sleek looking machine. The look is deceiving however, make no mistake this machine is a hardy piece of equipment. It is not the biggest lathe in the industry however it has a solid, robust look. This is a well manufactured, machine. The motor runs on single phase and the features make this a very useful tool. The construction of this machine is made from cast iron an makes it a very solid machine for the workshop
You may want to structure a platform if you are taller as the height is fixed. The machine is Quiet and runs smoothly. There are no vibrations while turning. It comes as self assembly however it is very easy to put together. Its high speed is a great feature and it is long enough to run some good medium size projects on.
Why you should buy this one
This lathe will last. It is reliable, smooth running and is versatile. Your projects can range from small to medium. It has a 16-inch swing so you can turn larger objects with just a few setting adjustments. It’s easy to use and heavy duty. If you are looking to buy a lathe for home projects, a small business or your workshop this would suit your needs well.
The JET 708360 JWL-1642EVS-2 lathe is capable of various projects and the bonus of this one is that it runs smoothly and quietly. The features on this unit are easy to use and very useful. For a machine with this price tag it rates very highly in the market.
- Variable-speed control for matching the tool speed to a wide variety of turning applications
- Weighs 420 pounds for optimal stability and reduced vibration
- Superior cam lock lever mechanisms for moving the headstocks, tool rests, and tailstocks without any tools
- Includes long tool rests, faceplates, live centers, spur centers, spindle locks, indexing locks, and knockout bars
- Legs with special webbings for two-by-four or tool-and-sandbag shelving
- With a 2 HP motor, electronic variable speed and sliding head you can turn bowls up to 16in. over the bed, even larger projects off the end, and 42in. spindles standard
- Hole Diameter (in.): 3/8 through tailstock
- Speeds: 50-1,200; 125-3,200 RPM
- Ram Travel (in.): 4
- Amps: 6.1
- Distance Between Center of Holes (in.): 42
- Spindle Lock: Yes
- Motor Phase(s): 1
- Variable Speed: Yes, infinite spindle speeds
- Swing: 16 in. over bed, 12 in. over tool rest base
- Motor Voltage: 230V
- (2) cast-iron legs
- (1) tailstock
- (1) headrest
- (1) tool rest body
- (1) tool basket
- (1) guard assembly
- Warranty card
- Assorted accessories
- JWL-1642EVS-2 comes with a five-year warranty