The Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe is a solid piece of equipment. It is sturdy and has features which are useful for all your wood and crafting needs. Using this, you can create anything from the simple projects such as a picture frame to intricate woodwork such as seen on some table legs. You can rely on this piece of equipment to help you achieve your masterpiece.
Shop fox specialize in many Carpenter tools for the industry and for home use. Shop fox also runs a specialized line in industry for metal working equipment. It was created by Woodstock International who were established in 1989.
When compared to various other Lathes of its size and specification the price on this machine shows great value for money.
It has several useful features. These are listed below:
- Heavy-duty, cast iron bed
- Cast iron legs to ensure stability
- 10 speed lever adjustment : 600 – 2400 RPM
- Spindle bore: 3/8″
- Quick lock/release levers for tail and headstock;
- Four different headstock rotations set in 30 degree increments
- Motor specifications: 2 HP, 110V
- Dimensions: 76-1/2″L x 19″W x 48-3/4″H
- Digital readout meter
- Standard tool rest extension
Who is it for?
Shop Fox W1758 is definitely something needed in the workshop for the Home DIY husband, the hobbyist or the professional craftsman saving them invaluable time on their projects. It’s also perfect for a beginner and as it is easy to use.
Pros and Cons
The solid look of this product does not disappoint. It is a heavy, solid piece of equipment made to last. It has a bracket for a shelf to be attached to. For a smaller lathe it has a lot of power behind it and the construction of this machine is excellent.
This lathe can deal with hard and soft wood and is a must for any workshop. The speed tends to increase on lower settings as the belt wares however this is easily resolved by replacing the belt. All spare parts can be ordered through Woodstock. Their customer service is second to none so deliveries are quick and reliable. The diameter is made slightly smaller due to the tail stock base but it does have a sturdy Stand with a bracket for a shelf which is easy to attach. Due to size it does have limitations however, for home projects, this is a perfectly compact and hardy machine. It size also allows for space saving in your work shop.
Why you should buy Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe
This lathe is great for beginners, hobbyists and professionals. It’s easy to use, sturdy and reliable. For the man that is looking to save cash on home improvements, build a table, mend or even create new dining chairs, this would be a perfect investment.
The features on the Wood Lathe are enough to keep your work precise and intricate if this is what you are looking for and spare parts are easily ordered and arrive quickly. The price on this Lathe is very reasonable and along with being easy to operate it is a great investment and a good all round long term addition to any workshop.
- Heavy Duty, Precision Ground Cast Iron Bed and Cast Iron Legs Ensures Stability and Minimal Vibration
- Quick Lock/Release Levers for Tailstock and Headstock
- Outboard Turning is Easy with Standard Tool Rest Extension
- Spindle Tachometer with Digital Readout
- Variable Speed from 600 to 2400 RPM
- Motor: 2 HP, 110V, single-phase
- Swing over bed: 16″
- Maximum distance between centers: 46″
- 1″ x 8 TPI RH headstock spindle
- MT#2 spindle & tailstock tapers
- Spindle bore: 3/8″
- 10 speeds: 600 – 2400 RPM
- 0°, 60°, 90°, 120° and 180° headstock rotation
- Overall dimensions: 76-1/2″L x 19″W x 48-3/4″H
- 2-year warranty