Adding the right router to your workshop provides for you a balanced, adaptable device with the fundamental force and abilities for an extensive variety of assignments. With a router, you can make set patterns, structure copies from an example, shape edges, cut joints, make ornamental surface cuts and substantially more. On the off chance that you are a crafter or a genuine carpenter, you’ll discover numerous uses for your router. You may significantly find that you need more than one sort to address everything your needs in the most proficient and advantageous way conceivable.
Tips and Tricks When Purchasing Trim Router (Compact Router)
Before you look into accessible choices, utilize the accompanying inquiries to begin pondering how you’ll be utilizing your router and which one or ones may advantage you most:
- How much edge molding or dive cutting will you do?
- Do you want to mount your router on a table?
- Is instrument compactness a vital thought?
- Do you work with extensive width bits?
Compatible Bases: Some routers permit you to change out bases, so you can switch between a dive and altered base. You basically expel the engine from one base and supplement it in an alternate base. This permits you to update your base or buy bases with distinctive handle styles at a lower cost than purchasing an alternate router. Exchangeable bases additionally provide for you the alternative to abandon one base joined to a router table and uproot the engine, instead of connecting and uprooting your router or purchasing a different router for your table.
- Interchangeable bases provide for you the profits of different routers without all the weight, so they’re simpler to convey
- Many exchangeable routers can be bought in an unit that incorporates an altered base, a dive base and a convey case
- If you switch applications often, various routers may be more effective and advantageous than changing bases
Force and Capacity: Most producers give router power evaluations in most extreme (or top) torque (hp), which must be achieved for a short period. Verify you’re not contrasting most extreme pull on one model with maintained torque on an alternate. In the event that you have questions, look at the amp appraisals of the engines. Routers are accessible with 1/4″ and 1/2″ collets, which shows the measure of the bit shank they can acknowledge. Routers with 1/2″ collets are more adaptable on the grounds that 1/2″ bits are accessible in bigger breadths, and numerous routers with a 1/2″ collet incorporate connectors so they can likewise acknowledge 1/4″ or 3/8″ bits. In the event that you will be working with expansive measurement bits, you’ll require a router that is fit for slower speeds. As the breadth of the bit expands, the fitting steering rate diminishes, so routers with a wide speed reach are more adaptable.
- Deeper cuts, harder woods, bigger bit measurements and requesting utilization require more torque
- Users with medium- or overwhelming obligation needs ought to search for a router with no less than 1-3/4 hp
- Laminate trimmers and turning instruments offer directing capacities for clients who needn’t bother with the force and limit of a standard router
Unique Features: A delicate begin gimmick brings the engine up to speed slowly, so the device won’t jolt out of position as you start directing. This results in smoother operation and better control, which is particularly vital in the event that you do a ton of steering. Numerous higher-end routers offer EVS (Electronic Variable Speed) control. This permits you to choose the perfect pace for diverse applications and bit sizes. On the off chance that you’ll be working with substantial distance across bits, you’ll have to have the capacity to choose moderate paces for wellbeing and control.
- A metal engine lodging conveys longer-enduring execution under heavier loads, however plastic lodgings may be lighter
- If you change bits regularly, look for an apparatus less bit change framework, or an axle lock for single-wrench changes
- Some routers utilize a trigger control; on the off chance that you want to utilize a router table, you must have the capacity to bolt your router in the “on” position
1. Festool 574368 MFK 700 EQ Modular Trim Router Set
Trim laminate, edge banding, or rout grooves easily with the lightweight and maneuverable MFK 700. This compact and powerful (1 HP) variable speed router is capable of handling a wide range of routing applications featuring a tool-less modular base design. In the past when using router bits, with guide bearings attached, the user can run the risk of burning the material if the bearing slips during the routing process. With this innovative design, the guide bearing is mounted to the router eliminating this concern. In addition, allowing you to use less expensive bearing-less router bits saves you money. With its large support bases, super fine micro adjustment accurate to 1/256” (1/10 mm), and additional hand-grip, the MFK 700 can be optimally and safely controlled. Featuring MMC (Multi-Material Speed Control) electronics maintains constant speed under load and provides overload protection, vertical base unit with a built-in threaded template guide, and built-in dust extraction shroud; 1.5-degree pitched horizontal base (protects surfaces when edge banding) with V-shaped cutout and sensor bearing guide provide flush trimming, even around corners.
- Powerful 720 watt (6.0 amp) motor can easily tackle most trimming, profiling and routing applications with variable speed and detachable cord.
- Vertical and horizontal extra-wide bases provides ample support area for maximum control especially near edges or on narrow stock.
- Micro-adjustable depth control to 1/256 inch (1/10 mm) with dual locking columns for precise routing control.
- Threaded insert to accept template guides and phenolic resin baseplate to easily glide on a surface without marring the material to be routed.
- Dust extraction port for attaching a vacuum powered dust extractor for a cleaner work environment.
2. DEWALT DWP611 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router with Dual LEDs
Combining power, ease-of-use, ergonomic features and innovations designed for visibility, control and overall performance, the DEWALT DWP611 compact router can handle a variety of applications–from small bevel cuts to large edge profiles and heavy flush trimming. In addition to its beefy 1-1/4 horsepower motor, the DWP611 is equipped with dual LED lights for ample illumination. This package comes with a fixed base, but it’s also available as a kit with both fixed and plunge bases.
- Durable 1.25hp motor delivers the power to meet the toughest applications
- Variable speed control feature enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications
- Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut
- Dual LED’s and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation
- Adjustment ring enables controlled bit depth changes to within 1/64-inch
3. PORTER-CABLE PCE6435 5.6-Amp Variable Speed 1/4-Inch Laminate Trimmer
The PORTER-CABLE PCE6435 variable speed 1/4-inch laminate trimmer features a 5.6 amp, 16,000-35,000 rpm motor which provides the power and durability required to cut in various materials. This laminate trimmer is perfect for most trimming, small edge forming, and hinge routing applications. The smart ergonomics of this unit allow for comfortable, single-handed control. The trimmer features a precision-machined, cast-aluminum fixed base that provides long term durability, along with extra large locking clips that allow for a quick motor release and course depth adjustment. An attached depth ring enables quick and accurate bit height adjustments. The spindle lock button allows for single-wrench bit changes. In addition, this unit has a LED light and clear sub-base which ensures maximum visibility while in operation. This trimmer also features a 1/4-inch collet diameter.
- 16,000 – 35,000 RPM, 5.6 amp motor provides cutting power and durability
- Perfect for most trimming, small edge forming and hinge routing applications
- Ergonomics allow for comfortable, single-handed control
- Precision-machined, cast-aluminum fixed base provides long term durability
- Extra large locking buckle for quick motor release or course depth adjustment
- Attached depth ring for quick and accurate bit height adjustments
- Spindle lock button allows for single-wrench bit changes
- LED light and clear sub-base ensure maximum visibility in operation
4. Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router with Edge Guide
The Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Variable Speed Router with Edge Guide is a versatile tool that’s ideal for performing custom carpentry, trimming laminate flooring or deck planks, mortising hinges, dovetailing, and a host of other at-home and professional jobs. This router packs big power in a small, compact package for extended comfort and maximum accuracy.
- Variable-rate palm-hold router unit; delicate begin and speedy lock frameworks
- 6 amp engine with 15,000 – 35,000 rpm; profundity modification framework and finger help pockets
- Aluminum development and delicate grasp
- Includes palm router, drop-produced collet and shaft torques, collet, settled base, straight-edge aide, case
- 8 pounds; 1-year guarantee
- Highest pull rating in its class.
- Variable pace of 16,000 to 35,000 RPM
- Constant-Response Circuitry to keep up pace under burden
- Influential Motor, Variable Speed, and Depth Adjustment for Precise Results
5. Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
1-1/4 HP motor delivers 6.5 Amps for improved performance. Heavy Duty aluminum motor for increased durability. Shaft lock for quick and easy bit changes. Durable flat top design for added convenience when changing bits. Non-marring high-durability base insert for increased work piece protection. Easy-to-read depth scales
Uses 1/4 shank routers bits. Double insulated. Ideal for routing small profiles, dovetailing, door hinges and more.
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 – 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
- Soft start feature for smooth start ups
- Base accepts industry standard template guides
- High visibility base design for improved handling and performance
- Base can be removed quickly to install other bases (plunge, tilt and offset)
6. Ridgid R2401 Laminate Trim Router
Ridgid R2401 Laminate Trim Router has electronic feedback for consistent speed and power. This trimmer features a LED light to illuminate the work area for increased visibility, an overmold grip for maximum comfort as well as a lighted plug to easily identify live tools. The round and square bases provide added versatility and convenience. This trimmer has an easy access micro adjust dial for precise depth control, and a spindle lock for easy bit changes. The flat top router sits upside down for easier bit changes, and the no-mar top has an overmold on top of router to prevent marring of work surface. This trimmer is equipped with a quick release lever to allow for easy removal of the motor from the base, and electronic feedback for consistent speed and power. The variable speed allows for easy adjustment of the speed to the material type and application.
- Round and Square Bases – for added versatility and convenience
- Easy Access Micro Adjust Dial – for precise depth control
- Flat Top – router sits upside down for easier bit changes
- No Mar Top – Overmold on top of router prevents marring of work surface
- Quick Release Lever – allows for easy removal of motor from base
7. PORTER-CABLE PCE6430 4.5-Amp Single Speed 1/4-Inch Laminate Trimmer
The ergonomic grip on this trimmer allows for comfortable, single-handed control. At 4.6 lbs, this unit is light and features a low height, which provides comfort as well as excellent bit and work piece visibility. The trimmer’s built-in LED light and clear sub-base further provide visibility while the unit is in operation. This trimmer features on-off controls that are upfront and center for ease of use and access. Its precision-machined, cast-aluminum fixed base allows for quick release and is built for long-term durability. The unit’s spindle lock button has been improved to allow for single-wrench bit changes. The trimmer features an attached depth ring to enable quick and accurate bit height adjustments. Extra large locking clips allow for quick motor release and/or course depth adjustment. This trimmer features a fixed speed design ideal for professionals.
- 31,000 RPM, 4.5 amp motor
- Precision-machined, cast-aluminum fixed base
- Extra large locking clips allow for a quick motor release and/or course depth adjustment
- Depth ring enables quick and accurate bit height adjustments
- Spindle lock button allows for single-wrench bit changes
8. MLCS 9056 1 HP Rocky Trim Router
High Performance Motor! This heavy duty, variable speed compact laminate trimmer/palm router has a durable, 2‑1/2″ diameter, machined aluminum housing. The 1-HP motor speed is adjustable from 10,000 rpm to 30,000 rpm via a speed control dial on the top of the motor housing. Etched into the aluminum housing is a 1″ long rule marked in 1/16″ and 1mm increments. The double insulated motor features a spindle-locking button to facilitate single wrench bit changes. The metal base uses a rack and pinion system to adjust the height of the motor and a flip lever to lock the motor at the desired height. In addition, a rubber pad partially wraps the base to provide a positive gripping surface when holding the router in your palm.
- Heavy Duty yet compact
- Rack and pinion height adjustment
- Compact, Easy to Operate
- 1/4″ Collet
- Flush trimming attachment, edge guide Included
Diverse routers are more qualified to distinctive assignments, such a variety of carpenters buy numerous models for greatest flexibility and convenience. It’s additionally more advantageous to have a router that is committed to your router table in the event that you utilize one, so you don’t need to isolate and reattach each time you switch in the middle of hand and table steering. Continuously remember your expected applications as you assess the profits of each one kind of router, and in addition the uncommon peculiarities that.